Thursday, June 25, 2009

Schwinn Varsity Tourist Maiden Voyage

A few posts back I talked about taking the drop bars off my Schwinn Varsity and replacing them with Tourist bars. I finished the task last night and rode the bike to work this morning. Here's The Great Pumpkin outside my front door before going to work.



You wouldn't think putting upright bars on a bike would make a big difference in the way the bike rides, but it is a totally different ride. In an earlier post I said, "There is something crude and primal about this bike. It rubs, it squeeks, it doesn't like to stop. Riding this bike is like holding a tiger by the tail." Not anymore. In the upright position I feel much more in control.



It also feels perfectly comfortable to ride this bike slowly. It just doesn't beg to be hammered anymore; it is truly a cruiser. It rides smoothly, but it just doesn't need speed to feel like it's doing its job.

After work I took one of my slightly longer hot weather routes home. This route takes me down the Trinity River Trail, then through a shady neighborhood for much of the ride home. It was 100 degrees today, but with the Slow Bicycle mentality this ride inspires, I savored the ride home. I stopped on some of the low water crossing dams to take a few pics. This is the crossing near Southwest Boulevard.



Back on the bike,



I came upon some guys fishing by the Bryant Irvin bridge.



Smooth sailing. You can see that summer is upon us; the grass is beginning to die off. :(



Then it was time to cross back to the south side of the river at the crossing just west of Hulen Street.





I planned to take pictures along the whole route home but my cell phone battery died. My route home went south on Overton Park East and Inwood through the Tanglewood neighborhood. Then I jogged over to Hildring which crosses under I-20 but over the I-20 access road which means no traffic to worry about. This leads to the Wedgwood neighborhood, then Candleridge, and I'm pretty much home.

Like I said, the Varsity Tourist is a nice cruising bike that doesn't like to be hurried. The route is probably 10-12 miles, and it took me at least an hour to get home. But when I got there, I was still relatively fresh considering I had just ridden that distance in 100 degree temperatures. The Varsity is a different kind of a bike. Different is good.

8 comments:

Laura A said...

That's a sweet bike. I need baskets like those. Where did you get them?

RANTWICK said...

Thanks Doohickie. I'm happy to take a vicarious bike ride, slow or fast, any time.

Doohickie said...

Green Bike Girl- they are Wald baskets, pretty standard stuff. I got them from my local bike shop for.... about $30 I think? Maybe $40 (it was almost a year ago; I can't remember exactly). Something like that.

They also make baskets that fold which are pretty cool.

Big Oak said...

Nice looking bike. You did a great job cleaning it up. Glad the new handlebars work well.

Steve A said...

I hate to admit it, having grown up with nothing but scorn for Schwinn Varsity "tanks;" yours actually makes me a little nostalgic. Not enough to wish for one myself, but a little bit. It's a generational thing.

You want to make me swoon, find a Paramount in the trash and do your magic on it...

ChipSeal said...

Mmmmm... Paramount!

popeye cahn said...

Mmmmm yes Paramount!

I've seen a guy on a yellow Varsity or similar twice now, same stretch of road and just making a steady grind up the hill. Reminds me of the good old days...

Lovely Bicycle! said...

That is a beautiful maiden voyage! I love photos of bikes by the water. Mine will be taken along the Charles River for their maiden voyages soon.