Saturday, January 24, 2009

My Steed

Today it was 60 degrees and sunny, so I decided to take a ride and set up a photo shoot of the bike.

This is my go everywhere, do everything bike. I rely on it day in and day out. I ride anywhere from 10-100 miles a week; to and from work, to the grocery store, beer runs, to pay bills, to and from the gym, workout rides, and for sheer pleasure. It is my pride and joy, well...maybe that is pushing it a little, but I do love this ride.

I have added and subtracted certain things from the bike, here is the stock photo:


Here are some pictures of the bike taken today:















Specifications:
Model: Marin Muirwoods
Year: 2008
Model Category: Street
Model Series: URBAN

Size: 20.5"
Frame: Double Butted Cromoly with Edge 2 tubing with Double Butted4 Side seat and Chain Stays
Front Suspension: Cromoly Rigid 1 1/8" Fork
Rear Suspension: N/A
Shifters: Suntour Friction Bar End
Derailleur Front: Shimano C-100
Derailleur Back: Shimano Deore
Brakes Front: Forged Alloy Linear Pull
Brakes Rear: Forged Alloy Linear Pull
Brake Lever: Tektro R200 Road Levers
Pedals: Composite with Alloy Cage
Crankset: TruVativ X-Flow C 3.0 28/38/48
Chain: HG40
Cassette: Shimano HG30 11-32 8 Speed
Rims: Alex TA 20 Double Wall 32 Hole with CNC Side Walls
Tires: CST Urban 26x1.4
Saddle: Brooks B17 Standard
Seatpost: Alloy Micro Adjust 27.2mmx300mm
Stem: Bianchi Componteni 120mm -10 Deg
Handlebar: Alloy 25.4mm Drop Bar
Grips: Nashbar Cork Handle Bar Tape Black
Headset: Ritchey LB 1 1/8 Threadless

Things I have added on:
Planet Bike Hard Core Fenders
Delta Rear Rack Up to 50 lbs
2 Rear Folding Wald Baskets
Bike Burrito
Brooks B17 Standard
Headlight: Trustfire SCC P7 Flashlight
Taillight: Cateye TD1100
Schwinn 15 Function CylcoComputer
Tektro R200 Brake Levers
Suntour Bar End Shifters
Drop Bars
Nashbar Cork Handlebar Tape

I honestly believe this is a perfect example of a great modern commuter bike. I would recommend this bike to any person seriously considering cyclocommuting. It has the wonderful qualities of a steel bike--comfortable, stiff, and shock absorbing. It is set up with a triple chain ring making it easy to pedal up the steepest hill and speed back down, or cruise down the straight stretch. The bike is also very agile, which is good for riding in traffic, and down bumpy roads.

I am hoping to do some tours with this bike next spring and a few centuries as well. I hope you enjoy!

2 comments:

Doohickie said...

A Marin Muirwoods is a lot of bike for the money. My LBS (local bike shop) got one in my size and put it out as a demonstrator specifically to tempt me. And it is tempting.

One thing I really like about it is that it is a steel-framed bike with a fixed fork. Those are good characteristics for a commuter- very durable, low maintenance, not prone to damage.

Wanderlust said...

Awesome bike and setup.
Would love to get my hands on one of those.

Your choice of lights is interesting. A Surefire! Yowza!