Thursday, December 31, 2009

Riding Out the Year

Last year on this day I rode almost 60 miles on a bicycle. This year, not so much. This year temps were in the 40s and it was raining. I only rode 19. I rode on my new (Christmas) bicycle, a 2009 Schwinn Cutter.



The thing about the Cutter is that it is a single speed bike. All my other bikes have multiple speeds. If I need to climb a hill with those other bikes, I shift to a lower gear. To climb a hill on the Cutter I need to stand up on the pedals and mash my way up. Here's a map of my route today:



Yeah, the weather sucked, but the ride was pretty good. I was properly dressed (including some new wool gloves I picked up this morning for half price at Macy's). Also, the first part of my ride was into the wind, but downhill; the return trip was mostly uphill but at least the wind was at my back.



This "smiley face" elevation profile is typical for my ride since I live on high ground and usually ride toward the river. I rode on the Trinity River Trail for part of the ride. It was pretty much deserted.



I took some pictures at the low water crossing over the Trinity River.





Did I mention what a gray, desolate day it was?



Still, it felt great to get some miles in. Of course on the way home I stopped at The City Cyclist, where the staff was hanging out. Mike gave my Cutter a tuneup; when my wife picked it up before Christmas he didn't really have time to properly set it up.



The 19 miles I traveled today was the most I've put on the Cutter in one day. Riding a single speed bike takes a lot more out of me than any of my geared bikes.

Tonight we are going to a New Years Eve party. I hope everyone has a good evening and....

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

4 comments:

Jon said...

"Riding a single speed bike takes a lot more out of me than any of my geared bikes."

Yeah. But, ain't it a hoot?

Happy New Year!

Doohickie said...

Yes. Yes it is a hoot! I love it. I was thinking about this during the evening, trying to figure out how to explain it to someone who hasn't experienced it, and the best way I can think of is to simply tell them to go out an experience a single speed bike.

PennyCandy said...

I am really happy that you decided that you do like this bike.

Rat Trap Press said...

Give me a call next time you're taking that route and I'll meet you on the trail.